Active Shooter Awareness Training Available
Active shooter events are unpredictable, quickly lead to chaos, and are usually resolved in a short period of time. Your best defense is having a heightened awareness of your surroundings, identifying at least 2 exits, and mentally rehearsing what you will do to survive. Please review and share this YouTube video and survival tips.
Shelby county will be hosting two Active Shooter Awanreness Training Sessions, November 9th at 7:00pm or November 18th at 09:00 am. The session is free and open to the public. Registration is required..
“Run, Hide, Fight: Surviving an Active Shooter Event” https://youtu.be/5VcSwejU2D0
- Look for two exits when entering a room or outdoor venue.
- Escape! Leave belongings behind.
- Help others escape (if possible).
- Evacuate (even if others do not follow).
- If escape is not possible, hide.
- Barricade entry.
- Lock the door and turn off lights.
- Silence cell phones and pagers.
- Stay in place until law enforcement gives the all clear.
- If you cannot run or hide, as a last resort, when your life is in imminent danger, fight!
- Incapacitate the shooter with makeshift weapons (chair, fire extinguisher, books).
- Act with aggression (yell, throw items at the shooter).
AFTER the EVENT:
- Call 911 when you are out of danger.
- Remain calm.
- Follow law enforcement’s instructions.
- Keep hands visible and empty.
- Avoid quick movements. Do not scream or yell.
- Be a good witness. Provide accurate information to law enforcement: location, description, and number of shooters, number and types of weapons, and number and location of victims.