Great Central US Shakeout planned October 19th
Shelby County is located within the New Madrid Seismic Zone, remains at risk for a major destructive earthquake. There will be no warning.” said Dale Lane, Director Shelby County Office of Preparedness. “You can reduce your chances of injury or death if you have a plan. Join us for the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut - the World’s Largest Earthquake Drill on October 19 at 10:19 a.m. Wherever you are, please stop and conduct a 60-second earthquake drill as if a major earthquake is occurring. Practice the “Drop, Cover and Hold On” maneuver. The more we practice, the more likely we are to survive.”
Please share this video and earthquake safety tips:
Earthquake Safety Video: https://youtu.be/GSDmqLQmMN0
- DROP! Drop down onto your hands and knees so the earthquake doesn’t knock you down. Drop to the ground (before the earthquake drops you!).
- COVER! Cover your head and neck with your arms to protect yourself from falling debris.
- HOLD ON! Hold on to any sturdy covering so you can move with it until the shaking stops.
- Don’t run outside: You may be injured by falling debris or lose your footing.
If no shelter is available: Drop to the floor, crawl to a nearby interior wall. Avoid exterior walls,
windows, hanging objects, large appliances, and kitchen cabinets. Stay on your hands and knees.
If seated and unable to drop to the floor: Bend forward, cover your head with your arms, and hold
on to your neck with both hands.
- In a wheelchair: Lock your wheels. Stay seated. Protect your head and neck with your arms.
- In bed: Stay there. Lie face down. Cover your head and neck with a pillow.
In a high-rise: Drop, Cover, and Hold On. Avoid windows. Do not use elevators. Sprinkler systems or
fire alarms may activate.
In a stadium or theater: Drop to the ground in front of your seat. If not possible, lean over and cover
your head with your arms, and hold on to your neck with both hands.
In a vehicle: Pull over to the side of the road away from power lines. Avoid stopping on bridges or
under an overpass. Keep seatbelt on.
In a store: Drop, Cover, and Hold On. If no shelter is available, drop next to a nearby shopping cart
or beneath clothing racks and hold on. Avoid windows and shelves.
Outdoors: Move to a clearing away from power lines, trees, or buildings.
Resource: Visit www.shakeout.org to register and for more information.