Human Services Opens Offices on Saturday

Tennessee Department of Human Services Opens Saturday for SNAP Recipients Requesting Replacement Benefits

Thursday, June 01, 2017 | 2:30pm

North and Welles Branch Offices Open Saturday to Serve Only Current SNAP Recipients Requesting Replacement Benefits

The Tennessee Department of Human Services North and Welles Branch Offices will extend hours to Saturday, June 3 from 8:00AM to 12:00PM to serve only current Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps) recipients impacted by power outages that would like to request replacement benefits.

All other DHS customers will be seen during regular business hours, Monday through Friday. SNAP replacement benefit requests will also be accepted during regular business hours.

Shelby County residents currently enrolled in SNAP who lost power for 12 hours or more may be eligible for replacement benefits. Shelby County residents who are not enrolled in the SNAP program are not eligible to receive SNAP replacement benefits due to loss of power.

To be eligible for the replacement benefits, the household must: 

·         Be current SNAP recipients;

·         Have been without power for 12 hours; or

·         Have experienced other household misfortunes that have caused the loss of food.

SNAP recipients must request replacement benefits within 10 (ten) calendar days of experiencing food loss. Once approved, replacement benefits are issued to current recipients using their existing EBT card.  To request replacement benefits, current SNAP recipients can visit one of two Tennessee Department of Human Services Offices in Shelby County:

North Branch Office

3230 Jackson Avenue

Memphis, TN 38122


Welles Branch Office

3360 South Third Street

Memphis, TN 38109

An affidavit must be signed as part of the eligibility process.

*Due to the extent of outages, wait times may be longer than usual.

Shelby County residents that do not currently receive SNAP benefits can apply online at, or in person at the office locations listed above.


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1)  mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture  Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider.