Join the “Great Central US ShakeOut” Earthquake Drill on October 17
For Immediate Release
October 11, 2019
Join the “Great Central US ShakeOut” Earthquake Drill October 17 at 10:17 A.M.
Shelby County is located within the New Madrid Seismic Zone, therefore making it highly vulnerable to earthquakes. Earthquakes pose the greatest and most devastating threat to Tennessee. There will be no warning before the ground shakes –which brings with it the potential destruction of property, fires, power outages and loss of life. Most earthquake injuries and deaths are caused by collapsing walls and falling debris. Training and practice can help you survive.
On Thursday, October 17 at 10:17 A.M. the Shelby County Emergency Management and Homeland Security Office would like to invite all citizens, schools, businesses and organizations to join the Great ShakeOut, the world’s largest earthquake drill. During the drill, assume an earthquake is occurring. Do not run outside. Instead, perform the 3-step “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” maneuver:
• Drop! Drop to your knees before you are knocked down by shaking ground.
• Cover! Cover yourself by crawling under nearby sturdy furniture (large desk or table).
• Hold On! Hold on to the furniture until the shaking stops.
During an Earthquake:
• If no sturdy furniture is nearby: Drop to your hands and knees, bend over to protect vital organs, and cover your head and neck with your arms. Move close to an interior wall if possible.
• If you are in bed: Stay there. Roll to your stomach. Cover your head with pillows.
• If you are outside: Avoid power lines, trees, and streetlights. Drop to your hands and knees, bend over to protect vital organs, and cover your head and neck with your arms.
• If you are driving: Pull over to a clearing and stop. Avoid overpasses and bridges. Keep your seatbelt on. If a power line falls on your car, call 911, and stay in your vehicle.
After an earthquake:
• Use caution! If aftershocks occur, remember to Drop, Cover and Hold On!
As you participate in the Great ShakeOut on October 17, at 10:17 A.M., take a photo and post it to social media with the hashtag #ShelbyShakeOut.
Visit www.shakeout.org to register for the ShakeOut drill and to view the safety video series.